HOW IT’S DIFFERENT
Comparing Meditation Techniques
Many meditation techniques are available today. Contrary to common belief there are distinct differences between techniques, such as the effort involved, their impact on the brain, and whether or not they result in verifiable benefits.
A study published in the journal Consciousness and Cognition identified the following three meditation categories, based on measured brain wave differences:
- Concentration or focus : Zen, Vipassana, etc.
- Open monitoring : Mindfulness, Kriya Yoga, etc.
- Self-transcending : Transcendental Meditation
Meditation techniques and their impact on the brain
Why do people who have tried other techniques find TM to be completely different?
The TM technique is so easy and enjoyable that anyone can do it, even children with ADHD.
- No concentrating
- No control of the mind
- No monitoring of thoughts (mindfulness)
- No trying to “empty the mind”
Founder of Transcendental Meditation